Rising from the surreal landscape of an incredible alien world Nike’s reinvented running shoe, the Lunar Epic Flyknit, was a product launch of galactic proportions.
The visuals for the launch was an intended to elevate the innovative, weightless and futuristic technology of the revolutionary running shoe.
Together with Blacklist and a crew of extreme talents from around the world we created this launch film for Nikes new running shoe Nike Lunar Epic Flyknit. Also visible at all Nike in-store installations.
It was an A-list team for the project, co-directed by Tendril and Frame.
The uniqueness about the project for Frame was the global collaboration.
Blacklist from New York, USA, Tendril in Toronto, Canada and Frame from Denmark, Nike in Portland, Oregon USA. There were also a slew of freelance gurus dotted all over the world.
We had Canada, US, Brazil, Germany, Slovenia, Denmark and the UK all on this project. This made it an explosion of deadly talent.
The experiment of extending the collaborative spirit beyond the walls of the studios to join forces on special projects allows everyone to learn and grow while making amazing work.
It also enabled new creative friendships, allows for far-away travel, and it pushes everyone to make the best work possible as a team.
One of the biggest challenges wasn’t that production was a global initiative – The challenge was largely in creating the environment where the action takes place.
Armed with photo references from Nike of Pariah Canyon in the United States (a place formed with insanely gorgeous flowing layers of rocks) we created an entire planet in 3D.
This was no small feat – We did it by researching, experimenting, going back to drawing board again and again, and then by exporting data back and forth between World Machine and Cinema 4D (C4D).
The amazing A-list team
- Nike ACD: Tad Greenough
- Nike EP: Noah Stanik
- Nike Producer: Meagan Moore
- Production Company: Blacklist
- EP: Andrew Linsk
- Producer: Karen Lawler
- Studio: Tendril & Frame
- Co-Directors: Chris Bahry, Tom Crate
- EP’s: Kate Bate, Thomas Bay
- HOP / Producer: Mary Anne Ledesma
- Post Producer: Louise Bejerholm
- Storyboards: Greg Boychuk, Gabe Sapienza
- Editor: Tom Crate
- Pitch Concepts: Chris Bahry, Tom Crate, Wojtek Szklarski, Ann Kruetzkamp, Marco Iozzi
- Lead 3D Artists & Animation: Nejc Polovsak, Matt Frodsham, Simon Fiedler
- Particle FX: Simon Fiedler, Alasgar Hasanov, Marcin Porebski
- Shoe Rigging & Animation: Matias Hansen
- Lighting & Render: Nejc Polovsak, Matt Frodsham
- Additional 3D Artists: Sacha Wechselmann, Ben Pilgrim Shoe
- Modeling: Marek Denko
- Matte Painting: Bojan Zoric, Form Language
- Compositing: Chris Bahry, Brad Husband
- Music: Cypher Audio
- Sound Design & Music: John Black
Watch the entire case of Nike Lunar Epic Flyknit here